Mounds of seasoned potatoes with onions, bacon, chipotle BBQ sauce and tons of cheese! What’s not to love? This is a super easy recipe that will take you 15 minutes to make followed by just 40 minutes in the smoker. I’ve used it as a great side dish but is hearty enough for a meal too.
- 6-8 red potatoes, sliced with skin on
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12-16 strips of bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese blend or Kraft Mexican Cheese blend
- Three Little Pigs Kansas City All Purpose rub – available at BBQ Pit Stop
- Three Little Pigs Kansas City Spicy Chipotle BBQ sauce – available at BBQ Pit Stop
Pre-heat your smoker to about 300 degrees. Cook the bacon bits in a cast iron skillet until crispy. Chop the onion and add to the skillet with the bacon. Brown until the onions turn clear. Remove the onions and bacon from the skillet and set aside.
Your skillet should still have plenty of bacon grease in the bottom. Spread some of the sliced potatoes to cover the bottom. Season with the Three Little Pigs All Purpose Rub. Spread a layer of onions, chopped bacon pieces, cheese and Three Little Pigs Chipotle BBQ sauce. Repeat the entire process so that you have 3-4 layers in the pan. Place in the pre-heated smoker for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes open the smoker and cover the top with the rest of the shredded cheese blend. Close the smoker for about 10 minutes to let the cheese melt and serve!