There are a lot of Hangover Soup recipes that claim to help you recover after a big party. Most of the recipes I’ve found are Asian and European variations. My version uses Eastern European seasonings and is packed with protein and flavor from bacon, pork loin, kielbasa and a surprise ingredient – dill pickles. Letting it stew slowly in the smoker adds even more depth to the flavors. I can’t guarantee it will cure your hangover but it IS perfect on a cold winter night.
- 4 strips of chopped bacon
- 1 cup chopped pork loin
- 1 chopped small onion
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 3 cups cubed red potatoes
- 1 pound Polish sausage, chopped
- 6 leeks, chopped
- 1 teaspoon bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup diced dill pickle
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Hmeli Suneli – Available from ethnic grocery stores or Amazon.com -https://goo.gl/jVA62S
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup heavy cream
Next brown the chopped bacon pieces, Polish sausage and chopped onion until bacon and sausage are nicely browned and the onion softened. Add the pieces of browned, chopped pork loin.
Add 8 cups of water to the Dutch oven and stir while scraping the cooked bits of meat and onion off of the bottom. Add the crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, celery, celery seed, carrots and a pinch of salt. Stir together well. Bring to a boil. Close the smoker and cook for 15 minutes.
Now add the potatoes, leeks, bay leaves, smoked paprika and Humeli Suneli and mix them in well. Bring back to a boil. Close the smoker and let cook for another 30 minutes.
Finally add the pickles, garlic, dill and heavy cream. Stir the soup. Bring back to a boil and close the smoker for 10 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and white pepper and serve!